Monday, August 4, 2014

Matsuri Time in Okinawa

August in Okinawa means, in addition to being the hottest month in the whole damn year, it's also Natsu Matsuri (Summer Festival) time on "The Rock." This week we're all busy getting ready for the annual OBon celebrations. That means house cleaning, Ohaka cleaning, visting relatives and the exchanging of gifts. In fact, I got so busy that I forgot to post something on the blog yesterday like I try to do each weekend. So here's a couple of old photos I took of festivals long ago that now hang in a local gallery.


The first one I took as part of the annual 10,000 Eisa dancers in Naha. Since they did that big event again just yesterday and I missed it, you'll have to bear with this photo I captured a few years back.


The second one I took at one of the many Matsuri's held in Kin Town (central Okinawa) I think this one was taken at the Nuch-gu-sui (medicine for the soul) Matsuri. That's usually a winter time event but the vivid colors along with the pose the kid in this photo is doing is so cute I couldn't pass up the chance to capture the moment.

Just in case you're new to the blog and don't know what Eisa dancing is, here's a video from the 10,000 Eisa dancers event from a few years back...



1 comment:

Comments Welcomed, Spammers will be deleted on sight!